Detroit Red Wings Draft Brady Cleveland at 47th Overall

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Brady Cleveland
LD
47th overall
6'5 210
55 games 0-6-6 106 PIMs
NTDP

Recrutes 58
The key numbers for scouts when evaluating Cleveland are 6-4 and 106 - his height and penalty minute totals. A player his size who hits hard, plays with an edge, and skates well is most likely to be off the draft board by the end of the second round.

HP 91
Brady Cleveland is about as throwback as it gets. He’s a 6’5”, 211 pound rearguard who generally sits on his heels and then tries to clobber on-rushers. He’s innately physical and makes it a point to be tough to play against. At the same time, he’s really raw and it shows
“He’s big and mean and that should get him drafted.” - January 2023

EP 120th
While Cleveland doesn’t show any notable offensive upside, he consistently completes breakout passes through pressure, mixing in the odd cross-ice pass and fake when possible.
When it comes together, Cleveland blows up opponents, kills plays, and starts the breakout in quick succession – that will be his game in the NHL. To get there, the hands, off-puck defence, and defending
with pace will have to take a step. He could become an effective bottom-pairing option.

McKeen's 121
Cleveland is a hulking defender who prides himself on being hard to play against. He’s a physical presence, knowing how to make his impact felt on every shift. He has great range, impressive defensive awareness, and applies pressure well in his own zone. Don’t expect much else out of him though as his skating, his passing, and his offensive ability are all areas of concern. But you can bet that an NHL team will take a chance on his size and strength.

puckstopper92

I don't mind the Wings going off the board and getting someone they believe in, but they can't afford to miss on these this year. With this much draft capital, we should see at least 3-4 NHLers from this draft. However, this many defenseman is a little confusing. In my opinion, they're building redundancy within their pipeline so shipping out an Edvinsson, a Wallinder, or even a Cossa is manageable. Edvinsson, Wallinder, and Cossa are probably each be more valuable than a 9th overall pick.
holytoledo

puckstopper92 wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 1:07 pm I don't mind the Wings going off the board and getting someone they believe in, but they can't afford to miss on these this year. With this much draft capital, we should see at least 3-4 NHLers from this draft. However, this many defenseman is a little confusing. In my opinion, they're building redundancy within their pipeline so shipping out an Edvinsson, a Wallinder, or even a Cossa is manageable. Edvinsson, Wallinder, and Cossa are probably each be more valuable than a 9th overall pick.
Depends on the draft year, but no way. Edvinsson is the only guy on this list that has a remote possibility at fetching a top 10 pick.
Pop Zeus

JimIsJustPlainOld

Hopefully he can develop and contribute. Then we will have a Brady of our own.
rangeredwing

Brad Stuart is the high end for this kid?
holytoledo

rangeredwing wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:02 pm Brad Stuart is the high end for this kid?
I actually really like him and thought he was underrated going into the draft. I was hoping we’d get him at 137 or 169. Would have been glad to take 201 and 169 to trade up to like 145-150 and take him. A stay at home LD with a 5-6 ceiling was not something we should have spent a pick in the first 3 rounds on.
Wizard of Corsica

Fil Zaronek

1 blocked shot and 3 hits in less than 10 seconds in the top tweet
Fil Zaronek

holytoledo wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:33 pm
rangeredwing wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:02 pm Brad Stuart is the high end for this kid?
I actually really like him and thought he was underrated going into the draft. I was hoping we’d get him at 137 or 169. Would have been glad to take 201 and 169 to trade up to like 145-150 and take him. A stay at home LD with a 5-6 ceiling was not something we should have spent a pick in the first 3 rounds on.
If he does make it he will probably a 5-6 who is a little more than just a 5-6.
I didn't watch the particular game but I remember that people were talking about Tkachuk calling on the entire Wings bench and owning us in a game and people were lamenting that not only we were not very good team but we weren't hard at all to play against either
If he does end up developing his game to be a useful 5-6, he will provide another element but based on the scouting reports doesn't seem like the odds are much better than McKee's were who was a 5th rounder
Kostin will help in that regard if he doesn't go back to Russia

Kostin Lemieux